University of Minnesota CSE Machine Shop
|Ron Bystrom with a welding project|
|photo by Alex Schumann|
The University of Minnesota CSE Shop can design, fabricate, weld, and repair prototype and scientific research equipment. We can provide on-site
inspection, estimates, consulting, machining, welding, repairs, and electronic/electromechanical design and fabrication.
Click here for a full list of Equipment.
- Design for parts and assemblies using AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Extensive design experience with wide variety of materials.
- Importation of CAD model in multiple formats. Will work from your design intent, concept and sketches.
- We use manual and computer controlled machine tools to fabricate parts.
- A fully equipped inspection area is used to reverse engineer parts and ensure the quality of our work.
- Importation of CAD models into MASTERCAM to create machine code, assuring accurate and reproducible results.
- Our machinists have extensive experience in machining and joining technology using a wide variety of materials, and work closely with customers.
- Our shop has many unique machine tools and processes for special or difficult to machine items.
- We work with and stock a wide variety of materials: aluminum, brass, copper, magnesium, molybdenum, stainless steels, tungsten, titanium, PVC, Acrylic, polycarbonate, Delrin, misc engineering plastics, etc. .
- Fully equipped welding shop: TIG and plasma welders, and a computer controlled Orbital Tube Welder for precision joining of various materials.
- Helium leak detector for checking weldments.
- High vacuum welding of stainless steels and other alloys.
- Inert gas chambers for controlled atmosphere fusion welding of exotic metals such as titanium, inconel and tantalum.
- Dedicated weld fixtures, such as lathe, orbital, rotary and linear seam welder are used to achieve high quality welds consistently.
- Laser welder for small precision welds.
- Repair lab equipment and instruments, either in our shop or on-site.
- Welding repair of broken, leaking or worn parts.
- Remachine parts after welding or redesign.
- Soft soldering and silver soldering
- Design, fabrication & repair
- Measurement & control systems
- Embedded systems design & programming
- Printed circuit boards
- NASA flight qualified design & fabrication
- Labview certified software development
Call for more information, or stop by to see our three facilities. You can also send us your drawings for an estimate.
University of Minnesota CSE Machine Shop, Physics
116 Church Street SE, Room 30,
Minneapolis, MN 55455.
Jon Kilgore - Managing Research Engineer - kilgo001 at umn.edu - (612) 624-4328
Ron Bystrom -Shop Foreman - email bystrom002 at umn.edu, - (612) 624-7048
Fax (612) 624-4578
University of Minnesota CSE Shop, ME
111Church St SE, Room 2-134 ME
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Mike Jensen - Managing Research Engineer - mjjensen at umn.edu - (612)-625-2062
Bob Jones - Shop Foreman- jones018 at umn.edu - (612) 625-0549
University of Minnesota CSE Shop, St. Paul
21 Bio Science Center
1445 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Phone (612) 625 9754
Fax (612) 625-2288
harms002 at umn.edu